Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Day Musings

My research on Saturday proved to be a success. For once my ancestors agreed to cooperate and be forthcoming with information. Hugh Lawson Luttrell is my ggg grandfather. He was born in 1834 in Knoxville, Tennessee. Sometime between 1853 and 1860 he moved to Polk County, Missouri, where he later joined the cavalry for the Union army. Most of his family remained in Knoxville, one of which being his younger brother, Gideon Luttrell. Gideon also joined the cavalry, but for the Confederate army in Tennessee. Two brothers supporting different sides of a country at war.

This gave me much to ponder on. Were they ever in skirmishes against each other? How did this effect their relationship? What did their mother think?

I have two boys and I can't imagine being in that position. What a mess! And that is just it--war is messy. War calls upon men and women to have the courage to go above and beyond the average. To stand up for what they believe to be true, and to serve and protect those they've never met.

Thank you to those that have served in the past and to those that do now. You are heroes of courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment