Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Christmas Wish List 2012

Last week my husband asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I gave him a blank look and told him I didn't know. My attention had been so focused on everybody else's wish list and Thanksgiving, that I hadn't given much thought about what I wanted. I'm sure over the months there have been some things that caught my eye, but I just couldn't think of them. Since it was late at night, I told the hubs to give me a day and I'd let him know. Here is what I came up with.


  1. DeedMapper Software- This is a software that will plat metes and bounds coordinates for you. You enter in the descriptions/measurements, the plat is made, and now you can place the plat on a map. I've been platting out coordinates myself, so it would be a luxury to just enter them into a program.
  2. Reunion Software- Several months ago an updated version of Reunion was released. It was a long time coming. I work on a Mac so family tree software (at least in the past) has been limited. At this point I've become used to how Reunion works, so I feel somewhat committed. 
  3. GRIP- I would love to go to the Genealogy Research Institute of Pittsburgh this summer. The class that has caught my eye is one taught by Tom Jones. From what I hear Tom will be teaching a relatively new course called, Determining Kinship Reliably with the Genealogical Proof Standard. As with all of Tom's classes I'm sure it will sell out quickly. Registration begins February 7, 2013.
  4. Salt Lake City trip- I haven't been to the genealogy mecca yet (Gasp!). This trip could be coordinated with SLIG, but I know I would sit in class the whole time thinking about what I could find. Therefore, this needs to be a research trip of its own.
  5. Label maker- This may seem a little silly or frivolous, but I want a label maker. I would love for the manilla files to have a uniform look. It would also be easier to read the file names when I pull out the drawer. What can I say.... I'm getting older and so is my eyesight. 
  6. Flash drives- More and more facilities have scanners for microfilm. Not only does this allow for images to be digitized right away, but it saves money for copies, and paper.
  7. Keyboard for my iPad- I would love to be able to take notes on my iPad when researching onsite, save them to Evernote, and then easily access them on my home computer. It would save time, which is a valuable commodity-- at least in this house.
  8. Only a Few Bones by John Colletta- I have been interested in this book for a long time and I've heard great things about it. John is a wonderful speaker/presenter. If you ever have the chance to see him, run, don't walk.
  9. and 10. Research trips- I would love to take some research trips to Colorado, Missouri, Kentucky and Pennsylvania. In some of these cases (especially Colorado) I've done as much research online as I can. I need to do onsite research.
I also need a new computer, but that is a rather high ticket item that I need to save for. I'm just hoping my computer can hang in there until the tax free weekend in August. My other suggestion to my husband was going to Samford in June, but he said that was a given (yay!) and to think of some other things. The above is my genealogy wish list so far. Of course there were a couple of non genealogy items as well. I certainly don't expect to get all of these things or even half, but it gives him some ideas.

So, I have to know, what is on your wish list??

2 comments:

  1. I love your list! I hope to be in Tom's class with you. One thing I wondered though - If you have a Mac, how will you use Deedmapper, since it is a Windows program? Are you running Windows via Parallel or a similar program? I'd love to have Deedmapper but I also use a Mac and don't want to run Windows.

    Hope Santa is good to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Vista, which will run Deedmapper. Hope Santa is good to you too!

      Delete