Saturday, January 12, 2013

Do You Have SLIG Envy?

I've been reading posts on Facebook from some SLIG attendees. I have SLIG envy. What is SLIG? It is the Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy held in Salt Lake City, Utah every January. I've never been, but I'd like to go. There are 11 different courses offered. The course I would pick is Tom Jones' class, which is sold out every year. No surprise there. I expect as the week goes on I'll read more about SLIG on Facebook and various different blogs.

So instead of attending SLIG, I'm pouring over the IGHR website and looking at the course offerings there. IGHR stands for Institute of Genealogy and Historical Research, held in Birmingham, Alabama at Samford University every June. Often you will just hear this institute referred to as "Samford." Registration begins on January 22 at 11:00 a.m. Eastern time. Looking through the list of choices, is like standing at an ice cream shop trying to pick out just one flavor... to have for the whole week. It is a tough choice.

Course registration times for the various courses are staggered so the system doesn't get overwhelmed. This can be problematic. For example, say your first course choice is at a later registration time (say 11:30 a.m. CST), and your second course choice is at an earlier registration time (10:30 a.m. CST). If you don't get into your first choice it is very likely your second choice is already sold out. This is a situation I'm facing. So I've also made third and fourth choices. This lets you know how good the courses are at IGHR. You really can't go wrong with any of them. I'll let you know on the 22nd how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment