Friday, October 7, 2011

Follow Friday-From A to Zophar

I was reading Wendy's blog From A to Zophar today and discovered a term I had never heard of before, "cousin bait". Apparently the idea is to blog about your family history and hope that someday a cousin or some other distant kin will find you when researching a mutual family surname. Until now, I didn't realize this had terminology behind it.

Wendy goes on to relate how she connected with a relative who discovered her blog, and that they share an ancestor. They have been sending a flurry of emails back and forth exchanging information. I had two thoughts upon reading this post; "How exciting!" and "I wish that would happen to me."

Admittedly I have made some wonderful discoveries and even tracked down my father's immediate family. However, it was through hard research and I have never found anybody I'm related to through my blog. I have hope that someday that will happen, until then I'll just keep slogging through the trenches of research on my own.

So, have any of you connected with kin through your blog?

2 comments:

  1. I had been blogging about 2 years before a cousin found me through my blog. He found a photo of his grandmother on a post I had written 5 months earlier. That one contact started a domino effect of cousins contacting me. I'm sure it will happen for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've recently had an Israeli cousin of my husband's contact me and it's been great. See A Jewish Genealogy Journey for posts about the Segal family. Keep blogging - I'm sure you'll hear from a cousin.

    ReplyDelete