Saturday, October 29, 2011

Remembering A Great Lil Gal

I often wonder during my research what kind of pets my ancestors had. How did they treat them? How did they feel about them? What were the names of these pets? Were the pets purely functional, like cats to keep the mice away, or dogs to guard and protect the homestead? These are questions I may never find answers to. I can only assume that some of them must have had a pet of one kind or another, and maybe some cherished more than others.

A year ago today my 16 year old cocker spaniel, Coco, passed away. She came into my life when she was just 3 months old and I've missed her every day since her passing. If you have ever had a pet in your life that you have bonded with, you will understand how they are part of your family and the void they leave behind. I've found people who haven't had this experience find it more difficult to relate to.

At any rate Coco was a sweet special dog, and she tolerated my antics. Yes, I dressed her up for Halloween and she really didn't care for it much. Like I said, she tolerated my antics. So in the spirit of Halloween weekend I thought I'd share a few photos.

                                                                      The Bride

The Clown

The Princess (she hated the hat)
Yes, I even dressed her up for Christmas card photos (she hated the antlers too).

There were more outfits, but those are just a few. Like I said she tolerated it. In her old age I quit putting costumes on her, and put a Halloween t-shirt on her instead. I think that was by far her favorite. Her ashes sit in my closet. I don't know what to do with them. People tell me to spread them where she loved to be. However her favorite place was where ever I was. So in the closet they remain. I know on a certain level it's really wacky, but I think I'm okay with that. We all do wacky things, right? Besides when I'm 80 it will give the grandkids something to chat about, "Wacky Granny and her dog's ashes!" If anything 100 years from now, when my descendants are researching me, maybe they will come across this post and discover I had dog named Coco. And I loved her very much.



2 comments:

  1. I understand missing a beloved pet. When they pass it feels like our hearts are ripped apart. Coco looks sweet, to put up with all the costumes, but in the photos with the hat and antlers she definitely looks unhappy.

    I, too, wonder about the animals/pets my ancestors owned. I have a family photo, taken with people standing, sitting on, and sitting in front of a back porch. There in the midst of the family, nestled between my great-grandfather and my g-g-grandfather, is the head of a dog. I cherish the idea that they loved a dog as much I love my dogs.

    I'm sorry for your lost. I'm glad you have fun photos and wonderful memories of Coco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nancy! It sounds like you have a wonderful photo of your ancestors! And yes, Coco really disliked the antlers. She was a trooper.

    ReplyDelete