Thursday, June 16, 2011

IGHR-Day 4

Today has been a wonderful day. With the homework assignments behind us, we were a very relaxed and happy group. Although one could also say that we were all so exhausted from staying up late doing the assignments, that we were a little "slap-happy." Never-the-less we reviewed our homework with anticipation and I was very pleased with the outcome. It wasn't perfect (I didn't expect it to be) but it was close enough on point that I felt it was respectable. Phew!

After reviewing the homework Tom Jones presented, Writing Articles for Publicaton. He discussed different journals to submit work to on a national, state, regional, and local level. Each publication has its own focus of interest. He advised to review the journal before blindly submitting your work, to make sure it is a good fit. There was a lively discussion regarding genealogical societies needing and wanting article submissions. Write your family history and submit it!!

The next two sessions were presented by John Colletta, From Proposal to Product: Working with a Genealogical Publisher, and Writing a Narrative Family History: The Challenges, Pitfalls and Rewards.  John did not disappoint. His lectures are informative and entertaining. I would tell you more, but he swore us to secrecy. You'll just have to take this course and see for yourself.

Our last session for the day was presented by Elissa Scalise Powell, Using Micorsoft Word As A Writing Tool. This was very helpful for me. I'm not very technically inclined and now I have some instructions to take home with me to help.

Finally tonight was the banquet night. We all got to dress up, and have conversations without the looming pressure of homework. I was very lucky to sit across from Tom Jones, learn more about him and be inspired. The speaker tonight was David E. Rencher and he was very entertaining. David shared his adventures and misadventures in his genealogical work. Trying to track down ancestors for years with no luck, only to come across information by chance while researching another line. Kismet. Synchronicity. Whatever it is, it is part of what fuels us as genealogist. The thrill of the find.

2 comments:

  1. I attended Samford in 2008 and 2009 and hope to be back for my junior year in 2012. Thank you so much for you daily recaps, I am positively GREEN with envy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to meeting you there next year Sheri!

    ReplyDelete