Monday, June 27, 2011

IGHR-Reflections

It has been a little over a week since I returned home from IGHR at Samford in Birmingham. Sadly, I haven't done as much writing as I would like. However, I have had time to reflect on what I learned. My expectations were met in the writing course. I expected to become a better writer. What little writing I have done has improved. The editing process I put my writing through is with a more critical eye. I have a better understanding of technical writing. Those numbers that you see when reading genealogical histories--well I know what those mean now.

What I didn't expect was to become a better critic. I participate in a study group that reads NGSQ articles, and meets online once a month to critique/discuss a specific article. I've noticed that I'm picking up details better when reading these articles. I dissect them better. Somehow it is a much more fluid process for me. This is a good thing and I'm excited about it.

Tomorrow both of my boys are at camp, and I will start writing a short biography on one of my ancestors. Sitting down with a blank screen is always a little daunting, but having a quiet house time limit will help motivate me. It will be the beginnings of a first draft, which means the end product may only have one sentence left untouched through my editing process.... maybe. I'll let you know.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Cinamon. Problem with being gone for a week is that there is a lot of catching up to do when returning home. I hope to get to writing soon, too.

    ReplyDelete