Saturday, September 17, 2011

Tech Savvy Genealogist Meme-Oh Boy, Here We Go.....

Okay, so I tried posting this yesterday and I ended up having all sorts of technical problems that I couldn't figure out. So I'll try it again....

I saw this meme posted by Thomas McEntee and apparently it originated with Jill Ball of Geniaus. Oddly enough a couple of weeks ago I posted a blog Are You Tech-Savvy Or Tech-Challenged? So I decided this would be a good follow and see which side of the coin I land on. So here goes....

The list should be annotated in the following manner:


  • Things you have already done or found: bold face type
  • Things you would like to do or find: italicize (color optional)
  • Things you haven't done or found and don't care to: plain type
Feel free to add extra comments in brackets after each item!

Which of these apply to you?
  1. Own an Android of Windows tablet or an iPad
  2. Use a tablet or iPad for genealogy related purposes
  3. Have used Skype for genealogy purposes
  4. Have used a camera to capture images in a library/archives/ancestor's home
  5. Use a genealogy software program on your computer to manage your family tree
  6. Have a Twitter account 
  7. Tweet daily
  8. Have a genealogy blog
  9. Have more than one genealogy blog (seriously??)
  10. Have lectured/presented to a genealogy group on a technology topic
  11. Currently an active member of Genealogy Wise (okay, I just joined it remains to be seen how active I'll be)
  12. Have a Facebook Account
  13. Have connected with genealogists via Facebook
  14. Maintain a genealogy related Facebook Page
  15. Maintain a blog or website for a genealogy society
  16. Have submitted text corrections online to Ancestry, Trove or a similar site
  17. Have registered a domain name
  18. Post regularly to Google+ (I have an account, but I still just don't get this site!!)
  19. Have a blog listed on Geneabloggers
  20. Have transcribed/indexed records for FamilySearch or a similar project
  21. Own a Flip-Pal or hand-held scanner
  22. Can code a webpage in .html (uummm......)
  23. Own a smartphone
  24. Have a personal subscription to one or more paid genealogy databases
  25. Use a digital voice recorder to record genealogy lectures
  26. Have contributed to a genealogy blog carnival
  27. Use Chrome as a Web browser (I don't even know what this is!)
  28. Have participated in a genealogy webinar
  29. Have taken a DNA test for genealogy purposes 
  30. Have a personal genealogy website
  31. Have found mention of an ancestor in an online newspaper archive
  32. Have tweeted during a genealogy lecture
  33. Have scanned your harcopy genealogy files (this is something on my to do list)
  34. Use an RSS Reader to follow genealogy news and blogs
  35. Have uploaded a gedcom file to a site like Geni, MyHeritage or Ancestry
  36. Own a netbook (okay, if this is the same as a MacBook then yes, otherwise, no)
  37. Use a computer/tablet/smartphone to take genealogy lecture notes (I'm a pen and paper gal!)
  38. Have a profile on LinkedIn that mentions your genealogy habit
  39. Have developed a genealogy software program, app or widget (Okay, had to take a break, I choked on my sip of water, I was laughing so hard!)
  40. Have listened to a genealogy podcast online
  41. Have downloaded genealogy podcasts for later listening
  42. Backup your files to a portable hard drive
  43. Have a copy of your genealogy files stored offsite (okay, I really need to do this)
  44. Know about RootsTech (and hoping I find a wad of cash previously forgotten just laying around so that I can go)
  45. Have listened to a Blogtalk radio session about genealogy
  46. Use Dropbox, SugarSync or other service to save documents in the cloud (I have Dropbox, but haven't used it yet)
  47. Schedule regular email backups (I'm desperately trying to have no mail in my inbox! Why back it up??)
  48. Have contributed to the FamilySearch Research Wiki
  49. Have scanned and tagged your genealogy photographs (I don't have many, but do this for what I have)
  50. Have published a genealogy book in an online/digital format (sigh...maybe someday)
Okay, so I didn't do too bad, but clearly I'm still on the tech-challenged side of things. Especially since I had a snafu trying to load this post the first time around. Well... at least I have a list of things to work towards now.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for participating in the meme,Cinamon.

    Hope you find that windfall - Rootstech is lots of fun.

    Now I'm off to find your Tech Savvy blogpost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im no expert, but I believe you just made an excellent point. You certainly fully understand what youre speaking about, and I can truly get behind that. free blackmart apk _ APKForAll.Com

    ReplyDelete