Sunday, July 3, 2011

DAR

Yesterday I attended a webinar given by Dear Myrtle and hosted by the Southern California Genealogical Society. The topic was the DAR website and how to best navigate it to find information on possible ancestors. I've never attended a webinar before so I really didn't know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised.

I have visited the DAR website before but found it somewhat overwhelming. Myrtle went through the site step by step and made it seem simple. During the webinar several people were finding American Revolutionary ancestors. Afterwards, I myself found a few that I didn't know had served. It was exciting and very appropriate for this July 4th weekend.

If you missed this webinar and are a member of the Southern California Genealogical Society then you can still access it in their "Members" section. Otherwise it will cost $35 for a one year membership, and then you will be able to access it. After the webinar I checked out their page and as a genealogical society they have a lot to offer. I myself am not a member, and am just passing the information along.

Wishing you all a very Happy 4th of July!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been to the DAR's website in years, but will have to have another look. With the exception of the ancestors of a gggm whose line ends in a brick wall at her birth in 1807, I think I've found all the ancestors that served in any capacity in the RevWar. (Some of the actions that qualified as RW "service" always makes me laugh...) Meaning, at the risk of bragging, I have any number of lines that qualify me for DAR membership, but hate having to attend meeting so have thus far resisted joining, even as a member-at-large. Your post reminds me DAR membership could very well provide the information needed to get beyond that gggm's brick wall. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete