Sunday, December 16, 2012

Hidden Gems at the Used Bookstore

It is no secret in my house that I love books. Whenever I'm in a bookstore a sense of calm and peace always comes over me. What thrills me is that my children seem to love books as much as I do, especially my oldest.

During fall break I took my children to a used book store. After cleaning out my office bookshelves, I had some books to trade in. With the store credit we were all able to benefit from my cleaning binge, not to mention the benefit of it being eco-friendly. The children took off to raid the shelves in the kids section. After firm instructions for the boys to stick together, I quickly popped over a couple of isles to the genealogy section. It's a small section with two tiny little shelves. Sometimes I get lucky with a find, and sometimes not. In between looking around the corner several times to check on my boys, this is what I found:


Do you see how the bookstore spelled genealogy? Apparently they are just as confused as some other people. Aside from the spelling error, I did make a great find:


I was thrilled to find this book. It is one that has been on my list for a while. I was able to get it for a fraction of what a brand new copy would cost, and it is in excellent condition.

If you have never been to your area used book store, I urge you to check it out. One of my best finds has been Producing a Quality Family History by Patricia Law Hatcher. It's a hard book to come by and the copy I found was brand new for a whopping $3.00. There are gems waiting to be found at the used bookstore. Go get them!

No comments:

Post a Comment