Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mission Organization-Part 1

I've been busy these past two weeks getting organized and as a result haven't blogged as much as I would like to. Some people go crazy spring cleaning every year. For me, I go crazy with end of summer cleaning.

In the spring the weather is too nice for me to stay inside. The end of summer it is just kind of gross with heat and humidity. I live in the South after all. So I've been clearing off my desk (an endless battle), and going through last year's school papers for my boys (writing samples, artwork, etc.).

However, my biggest project is cleaning out the inbox of my emails. I subscribe to various different genealogy lists and blogs. This means I get a lot of emails everyday with wonderful conversation threads, and suggestions of online resources and sites to help others with their research. When I got back from vacation I decided my inbox had reached critical overload. I'm embarrassed to admit I had over 700 emails in my inbox. Time to do something about it.

It has been on my "to do" list to create a word document to store all of these suggestions. Some people have suggested making a folder to put the emails in, or to bookmark them. This wouldn't work for me, as it would get dumped or marked and forgotten. As I've gone through these emails I have cut and pasted sites or sources under appropriate subject headings alphabetically. Then I type a few words of further description if needed. I've been working on this for two weeks now. However, if I'm wondering about map resources or say where to find information on old cars... I've got a list to use that is easy to find.

I still have some more emails to go through, but I've made a lot of progress. My inbox only has 49 messages in it now.


No comments:

Post a Comment