Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Not Going to the FGS Conference?

I'm not able to go either. Admittedly, I'm a little envious of those that are able to attend. Going to conferences is a wonderful way to connect with other genealogists, talk shop, view merchandise in the vendor hall, and attend lectures to expand your genealogical knowledge.

So what will I do instead of going to the conference? Well, my four-year-old will finally start back to preschool, so that will free up a little time. I need to continue on my organization projects around the house. Those have been a frustration of starting and stopping. My computer is going to the computer doctor to be "cleaned." I'm hoping this means I won't be without a computer for the whole week. If it is, I can catch up on my reading.

I'm an avid reader and am in the middle of Isle of Canes by Elizabeth Shown Mills. It is an historical novel that is a fascinating study in the lineage of a slave couple's daughter, and her children. At times it can be a little difficult to keep straight of the many different people in the novel. Fortunately, there are several lineage charts to refer back to when confused. If you have any Creole, French, African American, or Louisiana heritage you may find this book very intriguing on a personal level. Even if you don't have any ancestors with these heritages, this book required an amazing amount of research that is impressive. As mentioned above it is written by Elizabeth Shown Mills who, in the in the field of genealogy, is highly respected and has many accolades. She will also be speaking at the FGS conference. So if like me,  you can't attend, at least you can read her book.

*I have not been hired to endorse this product in any way. However, I have provided a link for the product below.

No comments:

Post a Comment