Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tombstone Tuesday-Felix Gunter


A couple of months ago my husband was biking with our sons into Downtown Franklin to get some ice cream. As he passed the Old City Cemetery he saw this tombstone and recognized the name Gunter. Knowing that anything having to do with the surname Gunter interests me he took a photo.


For one reason or another, even though this cemetery is practically in our backyard, so to speak, I've never been in it. There is a larger cemetery across from it that I have checked out. Believe me, the irony does not escape me. I've spent hours researching Gunters, and my husband comes home from a 30 minute ice cream outing with a photo of a Gunter gravestone. Geez.

Anyway, I don't know if Felix Gunter is any relation to my Gunter line or not. However, I'm itching to find out who he was and what he was doing here.

5 comments:

  1. At least your husband recognized that ol' Felix *might* be your relative. For 40+ years, my brother has lived just outside the town where, unbeknownst to me until a few years ago, was the last place our father's paternal grandparents lived and are buried. Brother has attended many funerals in that cemetery and it boggles the mind that he *somehow* overlooked the huge double tombstone that stands taller than both of us, prominently engraved with *his* last name. If any locals ever brought it to his attention in those 40+ years, he never mentioned it at any family gathering during that time, which would've saved me decades of looking for their graves hundreds of miles away. Double geez!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cinamon, I hope you don't mind that I featured this post (and a photo from it) at Saturdays' Child: http://saturdayschild-jama.blogspot.com/2011/08/tombstonetues-whos-buried-in-your.html.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem! I appreciate the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great posting! It especially caught my eye because of the GUNTER name. My wife has an uncle who is a Gunter from Georgia. Certainly makes one curious if there's a connection. Us genealogy researchers.... always looking for some clue! Keep up the good work. Enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cinamon, I came across your blog just today, and couldn't help but be curious, as I am an amateur genealogist myself. Did you ever discover how Felix Gunter connected to your family? I have information about him
    Earold David Gunter
    earolddgunter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete