Thursday, August 11, 2011

Rachel Luttrell and Her Widow's Pension Woes-Part 7

Of Rachel's 7 children only 4 would reach adulthood. I think of this and it just makes me sad. This was not an uncommon circumstance for women in history by any means. I can't help but wonder, "How did they cope with this?" Just to lose one child would be devastating and life altering, so I just can't imagine losing 3.

In the 1870 Osceloa, St. Clair County, Missouri census Hugh and Rachel Luttrell are listed along with their 3 month old daughter, who has no name. Perhaps she was sickly and they held off naming her. At any rate, I don't think she lived much past this time, as there is never a mention of this child again that I have found.

The pension file records the information of two other daughters that died at a young age.

  • Mary E. Luttrell born 16 April 1879 and died 12 March 1880. 
  • Dicy Anna Luttrell born 17 February 1883 and died 13 May 1888.
Dicy's death would come two years after Hugh passed away, while Rachel was dealing with all of the pension mess, and trying to support the rest of her children on her meager income. Rachel's only surviving daughter would be my gg grandmother, Sarah Louise Luttrell.

When I read this or come across other ancestor stories that are similar, it certainly puts my own "problems" into perspective. Although I never knew Rachel, I admire the strength of character she must have had to live through all of this.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cinamon,you will never guess what? I am origionally from the tiny little town of Osceola, MO. in St. Clair Co., MO. How funny! : ) I grew up there most of my life until I left for college in 1983 and the US Navy in 1989. Which or your ancestors were from there? I actullay do not have ancestors there myself. But, I know all about the town. If you have any questions about Osceola, maybe I can answer some of them! My email is jenicoe2001@yahoo.com. TTYS! : )

    ReplyDelete